Reptiles surprise firefighters responding to apartment fire | News
LUGOFF, SC (WIS)- Lugoff firefighters were surprised to find an alligator and a snake inside an apartment when they were called to extinguish a kitchen fire.
Firefighters were called to the Lynwood apartment complex Monday at about 12 p.m. They quickly extinguished the flames in the kitchen of the first-floor apartment.
As fire crews were checking the apartment above the unit where the fire occurred, they say they found an American Alligator and a large snake in an aquarium. The Department of Natural Resources was notified.
"He thought he bought a Caiman, maybe, we'll see as that investigation starts," said DNR's Robert McCullough.
American Alligators and other game animals are prohibited by law from being held captive. The DNR took possession of the reptiles.
"Whether it's legal or illegal, there's a lot of things that come along with that," McCullough said. "They are a wild animal. They're not domesticated."
Damage was limited to the first-floor apartment where the fire started. Investigators say a pot left unattended on a stove started the fire.
No one was injured.
Copyright 2012 WIS. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Boil water advisory issued for the Town of Ridgeway
- Legendary Speakers to Present at Fairfield County Historical Society Annual Meeting
- The Lumber River Quartet To Sing At Lake Wateree Baptist Church On April 28
- Cop who shot wife while on duty sentenced to 17 years in prison
- Deputies: Son being questioned in double homicide