Man sentenced to 16 years in child molestation case | Crime
On Wednesday, a man was sentenced to 16 years for molesting a 9-year-old girl, officials say.
According to a news release, Kershaw County General Sessions Court, Circuit Court Judge Casey Manning sentenced 33-year-old Danny Shawn Johnston to 16 years imprisonment for committing a lewd act on a 9-year-old girl.
Officials say in a plea agreement, Johnston pled guilty to criminal sexual conduct (2nd degree) which carries a sentence of 10-30 years imprisonment.
“I would rather this man been sentenced to much lengthier time of imprisonment, but in today’s climate of jail overcrowding and budget cuts, I am satisfied with this sentence,” said Kershaw County Sheriff Jim Matthews. My hope is that the little girl in this case will eventually be able to live a somewhat normal life given what this man did to her.”
According to sheriff’s deputies, Kershaw County Sheriff’s Office investigators responded to a complaint in May 2011 following accusations that Johnston had sexually assaulted the young girl.
Investigators interviewed the victim as well as Johnston who ultimately admitted his guilt, deputies say.
Subsequent to these interviews, Johnston was arrested and placed in the Kershaw County Detention Center where he remained until this plea.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- WIS porn investigation gets county administrator probation, pay cut
- Boil water advisory issued for the Town of Ridgeway
- Legendary Speakers to Present at Fairfield County Historical Society Annual Meeting
- The Lumber River Quartet To Sing At Lake Wateree Baptist Church On April 28
- Cop who shot wife while on duty sentenced to 17 years in prison